Question
Posted by: Sipo | 2012/02/20

comfort eater

Dear Doc

I am a new mom. My daughter is 4 months old and I am breastfeeding. I have been under tremenoud stress at work for the past two months and found comfort in food. Now I can''t help it I just can''t stop eating even when I am full. If the food tastes good then I''ll eat until its finished. I am concerned because I am gaining so much weight and worried about what I am giving to my baby when I breastfeed because I don''t eat healthy food. I can finish a chocolate cake in 1 day and I have a thing for anything with chocolate.

Please help, I realy need to stop and a recommended diet for someone breastfeeding and wanting to loose weight would be much appreciated.

Sipo

Dear Sipo
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. It is unfortunate that some individuals do turn to food for comfort. You should actually get some professional assistance to teach you how to cope with stress without having to turn to food. If possible, please consult a clinical psychologist to help you with better coping mechanisms, otherwise no diet will help. Once you have regained control over your life you can try using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). Please add 2 additional servings of fat-free or low-fat milk or yoghurt to the diet to ensure that you and your baby obtain sufficient calcium to keep you healthy and build strong bones and teeth for baby. Also increase your energy output by doing regular exercise every day for at least 30 min. At the moment, I would recommend that you take baby for a brisk walk every day, but later on you can try running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, joining a gym or Walk for Life.

1

Dear Sipo