Question
Posted by: Emma | 2010/03/12

Combining swim programme with run/cycle programme

Hi Fitness Doc,

I''ve just about finished the intermediate swimming programme (1000 metres in six weeks) from this site and want to try the beginners run/cycle programme next. How can I maintain my swimming at its current level at the same time? I can generally only manage four to five workouts a week.

Thanks.

Hi Emma

Yes, if you have the time. The bike/run programme will start at a pretty low level, and there's no reason that you can't squeeze in a swim workout between the prescribed sessions. The option when you find that the run/bike programme has 5 sessions a week is to cut one of them, whichever you prefer and find easiest, and swim instead. Or you can use the swim as a warmup, but this starts to make each session really long.

So there are three options - one is to add a swim session, two is to replace a session with swimming, and three is to combine them. Which you choose is up to you, depending on your schedule. I'd say to start, add the swim session, then as you move along, start to substitute, as you feel fit.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/03/17

Hi Emma

Reply to fitnessdoc