Question
Posted by: Chrissie | 2013-01-16

Combined Dietician diet + Weight Watchers

Dear DietDot

Thanks for all your very helpful information, I always read your comments!

I am 45 years old and overweight. I have been struggling with weight the past 10 years. (I had my first child in 2011!). I have been trying everything and then I lose weight but because of the " wrong diet"  gained the weight back and even more! I have learnt my lesson over the past 10 years, there is NO quick fix to lose weight permanently!

I went to see a Dietician last year. She worked an eating-plan out for me. It is a nice plan, but can get VERY boring. I am the type of person who cannot thrive on a diet where there is too many " no''s" .

I took a decision to change my lifestyle in 2013 and make the year " just for me"  to fix my weight again and to start exercising, for the sake of my own health and of course for my baby - an example. By the way my nearly 2 year old eats EXTREMELY healthy food, as I have an obsession not to let her also get overweight! She thrives on good porridge, milk, all day nibbling on fruit, cooked food at lunch and lots of water! I could learn from her!

I was wondering what you think of " combining"  my Dietician''s diet with Weight Watchers (points system). That means I will watch what I eat as per the Dietician''s recommendation AND eat now and then what I want to (considering the points of Weight Watchers). With that the boring every day the same of the Dietician, would now and then have a little " naughty"  in for example a vienna for a hotdog, BUT keeping in the points range. I still make sure that I eat lots of fruit and veggies.

I lost from 1 Jan a total of 5.4kg. Do you think this can work in the long run, or is weightloss always about " never a naughty" ?

I would appreciate your comments.

PS by the way I feel already so much better! I have 30kg to lose!

Dear Chrissie
Thank you for your kind words. I think it is an excellent idea that you are going to dedicate 2013 to yourself and to losing weight. Most women and esp Moms don't ever dedicate time and effort to their own lives. Remember that if you are feeling good and if you are healthy and fit, Everyone in the family benefits, esp your baby. Now I would like to suggest that you first contact your dietitian once more and discuss the monotony of the slimming diet with her. It is important that you should be given variety otherwise it does become boring and can demotivate the user. Remember that if the dietitian recommended 1/4 cup of a cereal for breakfast that you can experiment with all the permitted cereals or substitute a slice of permitted bread, etc. But please just discuss the problem of variety with your dietitian. Then there is the question of allowing 'treats'. Basically there is no problem with having an occasional 'treat', BUT treats can open the door to snacking on high-fat, high-sugar foods and torpedo your attempts at losing weight. So be careful that this does not happen to you. Also try doing some form of healthy activity such as going for walks with baby on your back (to increase the load and help burn kJ) or swimming or cycling every day, because exercise helps with weightloss and increases motivation to stick to a slimming diet.
Good luck and may you lose all the weight you gained this year.