Posted by: Vic | 2010-01-29

Colorectal cancer

Hi Dr Bets.

Re the question regarding my mother' s colorectal cancer:-

We are unsure of the stage of the cancer. I presume an early stage as they didn'  t find spread into the lymph nodes? From what I can remember, I think one of the pathology reports did mention adeno carcinoma. She isn'  t being treated by an oncologist at the mo since the surgeon said her vaginal wall actually prevented the tumour from spreading ( I am sure he consulted with oncologists at the time). She had part of her vaginal wall removed too. Not that anyone wants to have chemo, but if it is necessary then we need to know. Wouldn'  t it be started immediately? Maybe I come across as untrusting but I just want the best treatment for my Mother. This is why we want to know if there is a screening test that she can undergo at this stage 3months after removal of the tumour and rectum.
Many thanks again.

It will be best to discuss this at length with the surgeon and to ask him/her for an opinion of an oncologist. There is no screening test that I can think of, except an abdominal CT scan to evaluate the success of the operation.