Question
Posted by: Vic | 2010-01-27

Colorectal cancer

Hi. My mother had her rectum removed ( Nov 2009) after being diagnosed with a tumour. She is doing very well after the op . They reported that her lymph nodes were clear and didn' t require chemo. Her doc wants her to have another colonoscopy in 6 mths time. Does she need any kind of other screening in the meantime (CEA test?). We just want to be sure that all is still well and that nothing was missed or overlooked. Can you suggest any screenings she can take at this stage? Many thanks

Hallo Vic
Do you know what stage her cancer was, and what type of colon cancer it was (adeno carcinoma?) Is she being treated by an oncologist? Please reply in the post a question box

2
Posted by: Vic | 2010-01-29

Hi Dr Bets
We are unsure of the stage of the cancer. I presume an early stage as they didn' t find spread into the lymph nodes? From what I can remember, I think one of the pathology reports did mention adeno carcinoma. She isn' t being treated by an oncologist at the mo since the surgeon said her vaginal wall actually prevented the tumour from spreading ( I am sure he consulted with oncologists at the time). She had part of her vaginal wall removed too. Not that anyone wants to have chemo, but if it is necessary then we need to know. Wouldn' t it be started immediately? Maybe I come across as untrusting but I just want the best treatment for my Mother. This is why we want to know if there is a screening test that she can undergo at this stage 3months after removal of the tumour and rectum.
Many thanks again.

Reply to Vic
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010-01-27

Hallo Vic

Reply to cyberdoc