Question
Posted by: Sam | 2009-09-07

Colonoscopy... Gastronoscopy

Hi there,

What is the difference between a Gastronoscopy and a Colonoscopy, and Barium Meal...?

I would like to check myself out for Colon Cancer (polyps etc)...and to determine if I suffer from reflux...

Which is the preferable test?

Hallo Sam
Gastroscopy is looking into the stomach with a fibre optic camera - for peptic ulcers and hiatus hernia/reflux
Barium meal is a test where they look at the stomach and small intestine, as well as colon - they give you barium to drink and then take an x/ray. The barium sticks to the sides of the bowel and is visible on x/rays - and so shows the outline of the bowel.
Colonoscopy is a fibre optic camera examination of the colon to check for cancer and polyps etc. Sigmoidoscopy is the same but does not go up as high as a colonoscopy.
If you have a family history of colon cancer, the best examination is to check a stool sample for occult blood, having a digital examination of the rectum and a colonoscopy/sigmoidoscopy every 5 years after 50 years of age