Question
Posted by: gema | 2012-04-08

colonoscopy

I''v been suffering from flactulance, bloated stomach for a few years now. I just wanted to find out will getting a colonoscopy help? And can you recommend any places that offer the treatment in Pretoria? Thank so much :)

Dear Gema
If you have been suffering from flatulence and bloating for a long time, then the first step is to ask your gp to refer you to a Gastroenterologist (a medical dr who specialises in diseases of the digestive tract). The gastroenterologist will examine you and take a medical history and then decide which investigations you require. It is possible that the dr may do a gastroscopy or a colonoscopy or both, as well as a sonar or a scan. It is, therefore, important to arrange to see the gastroenterologist first who will then make the arrangements regarding investigations and treatment. Most medical centres, clinics and hospitals have one or more gastroenterologists on their staff and the facilities required to perform a colon- or a gastroscopy.

3
Posted by: Gema | 2012-04-12

Reply to Gema
Posted by: Maxine | 2012-04-11

Hi Doctor,
Could you please advise where I can obtain free trials for my Daughter who is 41 years old with a four year old Son and was divorced three years ago. She has had the usual thyroid test which apparently came back normal and I am aware there is a further test which costs money she cannot afford. Is there such a facility at the Sports Science Centre?
Since this time she has gained 90 KG''s and has tried several diets which have not worked.
As her Mother I am extremely worried and have read articles pertaining to the above (Thyroisism/Adrenal) and she seems to have all the symptoms.
Can you please offer some advice. Many thanks. Maxine

Reply to Maxine
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-04-10

Dear Gema