Posted by: Val | 2011-05-05

I recently underwent a colonoscopy examination. Unfortunately during the procedure, the surgeon perforated my colon and I had to be rushed back into theatre afterwards for an emergency Laparoscopy. I am 68 and have had 2 previous colonoscopies - in the first one 2 polyps were removed. My brother and father both died of stomach cancer though I am not sure if it originated in the colon. I am therfore considered high risk for colon cancer and the surgeon would like to repeat the colonoscopy in a years time. Needless to say I am very frightened to undergo this procedure again. Please could you tell me if there are alternatives to the colonoscopy - I have read about the Virtual colonoscopy - would you recommend this? I would very much appreciate your opinion. Many thanks.

Consult your doctor about the virtual colonoscopy, which is the swallowing of a small camera in the form of a small capsule. I do however, think that a colonoscopy will be more preferable, as biopsies can be taken of suspicious findings. Unfortunately, there is a one to three percent insidence of colon perforation during a colonoscopy. This should not influence you to not have regular check-ups. Colon cancer can be treated in the early stages, so early detection is of essence.