Question
Posted by: Mary | 2010/02/19

Colon Problems

Dear Doc,

I am getting married in a few months, i would like to know why is it that i cannot make a stole with ppl around me? I get nervous and unable to make a stole. My stomach tends to get bloated, i am at the moment using Lp299v, do you recommend this?

Bear in mind i am 25 years old. No children.

What can i do and eat that will not make me bloated? I can go for weeks without using the toilet, but then i feel very uncomfortable and aggitated.

What do you recommend?

thanks

Dear Mary
The inability to pass stools when other people are around probably has a psychological basis (anal retentiveness) and to sort this out esp in view of your impending marriage, I would recommend that you consult a clinical psychologist (ask your gp to refer you). While you are at the dr please ask him to examine you to see if you suffer from Irritable Bowel Disease (IBS) of the constipated variety. Lp299V is a good probiotic containing beneficial microorganisms which is often prescribed for IBS. Two of the most important factors in IBS are a lack of dietary fibre and stress. To increase your dietary fibre intake and obtain tips about this condition, click on ‘Diet’, ‘You are what you eat’ and “Healthy GI tract’. If you suffer from flatulence and bloating, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is a problem for you, please consult a clinical dietitian who will work out a specific diet for your condition. (Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Your doctor will also be able to prescribe medicines which can relieve the flatulence such as Bevispas, so chat to your doctor about such medications.
To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises (the psychologist will be able to teach you these 2 relaxing techniques) and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.
I hope you can get this problem solved before the wedding

1

Dear Mary