Question
Posted by: James | 2009-03-08

Colon Polyp

I recently had a colon polyp removed from my colon. I am now sooo constipated is there any food I should avoid to help with this?

And what can I do diet wise to prevent getting a polyp again?

Dear James
If you are severely constipated after an operation on your colon, it is vital that you contact the surgeon who did the operation just to make sure that there is no physical blockage that is causing this constipation. Generally speaking constipation needs to be treated with increasing your dietary fibre intake, taking probiotics, drinking 3 extra glasses of water a day and doing some exercise like walking. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read Articles 123 and 124 about healthy colon practices and what to eat to keep your colon healthy. Finally, if you are eating a very-low-fat diet, then in some cases it helps to take 1 tablespoon of oil (e.g. olive oil or canola oil which you can use on salads). A diet rich in fibre and fruits and vegetables which are rich in protective nutrients (e.g. tomatoes that contain lycopene) are recommended to prevent formation of polyps and to keep the colon healthy.
First check with the surgeon and then apply the healthy colon practices.