Question
Posted by: zaheera | 2009-01-22

COLON CANCER STAGE 2- how can diet help

I have lost a grandfather to colon cancer after 5 years of fighting - My father in law has just been diagnosed with colon cancer. I am guessing stage 2 as he has had the op but they feel that they could not reach everything as some were deeper embedded. We also have been told that he would still need chemo.
I would like us to be pro active in our approach to dealing with this very difficult issue and we want to help him beat cancer. I believe that there is a very high success factor if caught at this stage. Please can you send us any info regarding this (what to expect, different treatments, side effects of chemo). I realise at this stage it can go either way but I would appreciate it if you could you tell us what we can do diet-wise to help him WIN THIS BATTLE
His demograpgics: 65 Year old Indian Male. Had a mild heart attack a few years back &  gallstones but otherwise very healthy. Employed in : accounting department

Dear Zaheera
I am so sorry to hear that your dear Grandfather has developed colon cancer. At the present moment when he is about to undergo chemotherapy his dietary needs will be determined by the type of chemotherapeutic agent that is going to be used. Different agents will cause different side-effects, some of which such as nausea and vomiting could severely impact on his food intake, weight and quality of life. I would, therefore, recommend that you immediately contact a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will work with the oncology drs during the chemotherapy and will afterwards assist your Grandfather to build up his resistance again. This is not something I can do for you over the Internet as it requires hands-on interaction on a weekly basis.
So do consult a dietitian in your area.
I sincerely hope that your dear Grandfather recovers rapidly and completely.