Posted by: Mark | 2008-11-18

Colon cancer screaning!

Hi Doctor

My uncle passed away in December last year from colon cancer that had already spread throughout his body. My father is suffering from piles and will be doing a colonoscopy next week becauyse he is woriied he might have it too.
I also suffer from piles with occasional bleeding (which clears up after about a week of Pile Eeze capsules), moderate pain and a lot of itching in the anal area. I am 40 years old. Is there a higher risk that my dad and I could develop colon cancer and which screening test is the most reliable one to detect it as early as possible?
Thank you!

Dear Mark
Piles are not an indication of a susceptability for colon cancer, but colon cancer does run in families. One can screen for colon cancer by doing a stool test yearly, and having the doctor do a physical examination of the rectum ( this is unpleasant I know but one can actually feel most of the cancers with your finger - it takes a few seconds, and is a very important examination) If your doctor feels that you are at higher risk he may want to do colonoscopies every few years too.

Posted by: j | 2008-11-18

All the family must go for colon check. It runs in families!
My wife is in such a family. 2 of the 4 children had it.
Luckily my sister-inlaw was in time, they treat her. Know it is 20 years later and she is okay!

Reply to j