Question
Posted by: anon | 2010-01-22

Colon cancer patient

A friend of mine' s wife was just diagnosed with colon cancer, and she' s going in for an operation soon where they' ll try and cut as much of it out as possible and also look to see how far it' s spread.
We' re absolutely devastated for them, and want to try and be as supportive as possible. What is she going to want / need immediately post-op? (she' ll be in hospital for quite a bit) I' m just trying to anticipate anything we could possibly do that would help her in any way. Will she be able to eat normally?

Thank you!!
-anon

Unfortunately, these questions can only be answered once the operation has been done, as her needs may vary due to the extend and outcome of the procedure. I think the best will be to ask the family what they need and what you can do to support them.

Clear instructions on post-operative handling will be given once she is discharged.

Good luck.

4
Posted by: anon | 2010-01-22

I am truly sorry about your sister. Thank you for all your good advice!

Reply to anon
Posted by: friend | 2010-01-22

No unfortunately my sisiter passed away (47yrs) exactly one yr after the initial operation. She recevied aggressive chemo treatment after the op, but unfortunately the cancer had already spread to her lymphatic glands and she was diagnosed as a stage 4 patient. I pray that your friend' s wife won' t have any spreading of the disease - her chances to survive will be excellent if the cancer is only found in the colon. Just be available to sit with the patient and make time to let your friend try and relax while you care for his wife or just keep her company. My sincerest wishes for an excellent outcome.

Reply to friend
Posted by: anon | 2010-01-22

Thank you so much for the info!! They have a live-in maid who also cooks every night, so at least he' ll still be eating.
How is your sister doing now? Were they able to get all the cancer with the op?

Reply to anon
Posted by: Friend | 2010-01-22

So sorry to hear about your friend' s wife. My sister was diagnosed with this a few years ago and believe me there is no way that she could eat normal food after the op. She ate soft foods (yogurt, jelly, ice cream, custard, soups etc) The aren' t particularly hungry. But I think one of the best things to do for her and her hubby is to supply good cooked meals (pre-packed and frozen) for her husband. He is going to need all the nutrition he can get. When you have supper or lunch, dish an extra plate of food for him, freeze and put in their freezer. The patient will be on a soft diet for quite a while. All the best for you, your friend and his wife.

Reply to Friend