Question
Posted by: Michael | 2011/01/11

Colon Cancer

My mother in-law has colon cancer, she recenlty went for an operation to remove part of the colon, she still needs to go for an OP on her Liver. During the operation, she suffered kidney failure, she was on dialysis... Anyways, she recovered from that and now is at home, she has to go for more treatment ( Chemo)

I know its difficult to give me an answer, but generally how good are the chances and why does she still need to go for Chemo after the OP, could it be for the Liver? If it spread how long does one live generally??

Hallo Michael
It sounds to me as if she has metastases to the liver, and the chemotherapy is to kill any cancer cells that are too small to see on scan or x/ray, which may still be in the body after the removal of the main tumors by operation. It is almost impossible to determine or guess how long a patient will live - this will depend on the type of cancer, how agressive it is, how well the patient react to the chemotherapy etc. Her oncologist may be able to give you an idea of the prognosis.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/01/11

Hallo Michael
dr Bets