Posted by: Tinabella | 2009-07-04

colon cancer

Please tell me if sugar is bad for someone with colon cancer. Is it better to use Honey instead? The patient went for surgery and the cancer was removed. She has been for radiotherapy, and the cancer count went down. After some time they tested her again, and It re-occured and the tumor is small. She wants to know if surgery is the best treatment together with chemo or radiotherapy or just chemo or radiotherapy without the surgery?
Also, she doesn' t have a galbladdr, and therfor certain foods give her severe headache etc. Like cinnamon,oranges, cocao (dark chocolate - milkybar doesn' t effect her),..she can eat lemons though. She is worried about her sugar intake. She heard that it is a no-no for colon cancer, and she uses a lot of sugar (brown sugar).Is it possible to use honey instead? Her doctor is on vacation and will be returning in a weeks'  time.We would appreciate it if you can help us before his return.
Than k you so much

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Tinabella

Sugar is definitely an anti-nutrient which means that there is no nutrient or health benefit from sugar. Sugar's 'claim to fame' is that it a good source of energy, however due the high intake of refined sugars in the western diet the energy benefit is negated by the negative effects on blood sugar levels, the effect on the digestive system (it is a good source of 'food' for fungi that often live in the digrstive tract and that are bad for us), the potential to promote obesity etc.

I don't believe that sugar will have a directly negative effect on the colon cancer, but certainly a high intake of sugar will have an indirectly negative effect and should be significantly reduced, or better still, removed from the diet.

Honey would be a better option, but again everything in moderation.

As far as the recurrence is concerned the decision regarding chemo, radiation and / or surgery is best made with the advise of the Oncologist. Different cancers respond to different types of treatment and so with the Oncologist being armed with all the relevant information, and cancer being his / her speciality, I would follow their advise.