Posted by: Jane | 2008-10-31

Hi Dr Bets,
I am the one who wrote in so often last year with colostomy/reversal/hernia/blockage/stents.
Well my last op was 25 Feb 2008 to remove the stents which had got stuck in my colon.
All has been well, have felt really good. To cut a long story short, 2 weeks ago wore tight jeans, first time since last year. I then started getting tummy ache. Then last week my tummy started with that gurgling noise and I have been going from runny stools to nothing again. I was told by a surgeon in Pretoria to never eat oranges or biltong again and for the rest of my life to take 10ml milk magnisa every night. You were the one last year who suggested I might have a blockage, which I did.
Anyway, this afternoon I went to my Dr. He listened to my stomach and said it sounds fine. He said that it is IBS, he said that it is 100% certain that I have it after all the fiddling with my stomach. He also said that scar tissue only grows for a month or so. He also said not to take milk of magnesia every night as my tummy will become too dependent on it and will cause other complications. He said a bottle of prune juice every Friday night would be enough.
I would really value your input here, as I read your answers on a regular basis and everything you say makes sence.

Thanking you,

Dear Jane

Thank you for visiting

Unfortunately, the complication of fibrous (scar tissue) bands form between the bowels after abdominal surgery. These bands can cause obstruction, as well as partial obstruction of your bowels. So when you experience bloatedness, constipation and loud abdominal sounds (metal like sounds), you should have at least an abdominal x-ray done, as well as a barium meal with a follow through. Therefore, I will be careful to write it off as IBS and first have these basic special investigations done.

Kind regards

Posted by: T | 2009-03-19

5yrs ago I had part of my colon removed and a colostomy.

6 months later a reversal of the colostomy

Would it be safe for me to have a tummy tuck and liposuction?

Reply to T
Posted by: sylvia | 2008-10-31

im ou50m years old had a ulser remover 3 years ago. My stomach was never the same, Im lucky to go to the toilet once every 2 weeks. I was admitted inhospital this week for fokale belading, and had a colonoscopy done everything seems fine but after a gastric diet for IBS i still did not go to th toilet. Can it be that i have a dropping sindrome as the intestines was fix at the bootom of my stomach as the fix on the side grow so thight only a pea could pass through the hole please help I need a propper diet?

Reply to sylvia