Question
Posted by: Charmaine | 2012-09-14

colleague symptoms of stroke at office

Complained of forehead swelling and dry sinus yesterday. 14/9/2012 right lower lip corner swollen, right side face puffy. Slurring of words. Eye lids puffy. August had a heart attack. On choletsrol, blood thinning tablets and is an alcoholic. age 51, gender male, whether you smoke 20 a day or have a specific condition history smoker, 2 heart attacks recently, maybe diabetic, lost weight, high stress job. Whats happening?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Charmaine

Your question is garbled, but I gather you want to know what is happening to your work colleague who is a 51 year old man who is an alcoholic and smokes heavily and has had at least one recent heart attack and may also be diabetic.

The symptoms you describe do not sound like those of a stroke, but clearly your colleague has vascular disease. Having already had one heart attack and continuing to smoke he is at very high risk of further heart attacks as well as stroke. His priority should be to deal with his addictions one at a time, with the help of a good physician or cardiologist and also a psychiatrist. He will need to be on long term medication and also will need to start an exercise programme. All these changes will help a great deal if he can make them, but are of course are easier to say than to do. If he does not make the changes his outlook is bleak.

I hope things go better for him.

Best wishes, JT.

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012-09-20

Dear Charmaine

I hope things go better for him.

Best wishes, JT.

Reply to Cardiologist