Question
Posted by: Control Freak | 2011/04/08

Colleague out of control

Hi Cybershrink,
My problem is work-related. I have recently been promoted and have been awarded a large project. I have been doing all the work since February. My manager decided that I should have a back up. To my understanding that person will come into play if I am not able to cope with the workload, or if I am sick or can not be reached. Which I believe will not happen. I am also back up on his project. To date I have not been included in any e-mails or telecons for his project, but he has been included in selected e-mails and telecons for my project. My problem is, I suspect that he is manipulative. We had the start up meeting last Saturday, which I arranged singlehandedly. I also had to do 4 presentations. My first mistake was to let him do one presentation. It allowed him to get a foot in the door. During the training the previous day he was absolutely quiet, because he did not know the protocol. But, the second day he networked with the attendees of the meeting. Which I suppose is fine if he is going to be back up. But, he especially focused on one Dr. He became personal with him and asked him if he can come and stay on his farm because he has guest rooms. In the first place - he would not need to stay there. It is my site - he will only go there if I can''t. On the Monday he kept on asking me if he can accompany me when I initiate the site. I said yes, it''s fine. As back up he needs to have some background. But he kept on insisting to do al my initiation visits with me. So, I decided to discuss with my manager to give him 3 sites.I will keep 9. The objective that if he has 3 sites, he will keep his nose out of my business. But no, he still asked if he can accompany me to my site in Cape Town. There is no budget. What angered me the most is that the Dr he chatted up at the meeting e-mailed him directly and did not even copy me. Now, he did not have business cards with him, and the Dr gave us his business card. So, I suspect he contacted the Dr first. So, he went behind my back. That is the reason why I gave him that site. My relationship with the Dr is ruined. If they undermine my authority so early in the study, then I will get nowhere with him. I get the idea that because the project is going so well he wants in on it. But he does not want to be back up, take the back seat. He wants to be visible. He was instructed by my manager that I will hande all the communication with the Overseas Client, and what does he do? He tells me when the e-mails come in: " So, I am going to reply to this mail" . I had to remind him of the policy again. My colleague that left the company (I took over from her) warned me that he would try to take over my project. I can not understand what his motives are. But, most important, how do I handle it? It is causing a great deal of stress. Because, apart from keeping the client happy I have to protect my interests. My other concern is that he is not up to the challenge. He is a smooth talker and easlily likeble, so if he contacts my sites they would possibly like him and won''t hesitate to contact him - which I want to prevent at all costs. But, he has proven in the past that he does not follow procedures and huge mistakes has arised from that. I don''t want him giving out incorrect information to my sites. I am a control freak, I know that - but this is my first solo project and I want to make a success of it. And I don''t need someone that undermines my authority all the time. He has lied about the amount of experience he has - he tells everyone in the office he has 1 year more experience than I have. He also tells me that he has been in the office and then I have spent the whole Sunday in the office and I have not seen him once. Please tell me how to approach the problem. Do I talk to him privately and set the boundaries - and what do I say? Or do I speak to may manager? And what do I say without sounding paranoid. She accepts the fact that I am a control freak about this project and she appreciates it actually. She agreed that he must be supervised on all initiation visits. But, they are also friends, so it makes it difficult. Please tell me what to do. It is driving me crazy having to remind him of the rules day in and out and to worry about him taking over my sites or contacting the client. He is also very sly - he does not do his work properlly, but is fast to point out other people''s mistakes. I had a previous experience where he assisted at my site while I was on leave and he changed ALL the information, and I had to go back and correct everything again. But I suspect he told the manager that I did not do my work properly. That is the reason why I don''t want him interfering in my work.

Maybe he's clumsy and inexperienced ; maybe he's calculating and grossly ambitious. Why not -
-discuss your concerns with your own boss, about noticing ways in which the "back-up" is trying to push you aside, while not providing you with enough informaion about his own project to enable you to back him up properly " And remind him gently of the previous problems when this guy failed to follow procedures properly. Sounds like he may be exploiting her personal friendship with him. Maybe more gracefull allude to this, saying that maybe as she is a personl friend of his, it could be easier for her to talk tactfully to him and rein him in ? And, espcially, to remind him of the rules that he should follow, as everyone else does.
- AND have a quiet word with him, saying that you're SURE it's nothing intentional on his part, but you are feeling his contributions to be intrusive and unhelpful, that there is no budget for him to accompany you on all the visits as he seems to expect ( are you accompanying HIm on his own site visits ) ; that he shouldnt get over-friendly with your clients ; and so on. And that it has come to your notice that one of those he has attached to, has been e-mailing him directly without even copying to you.

2
Posted by: Maria | 2011/04/08

Can you ask your manager to let you run with the project without backup, provided you document everything so well that someone else can take over using only the documentation in the event that you are totaly incapacitated? Tell her that you need to prove to yourself that you can do this, then you will feel more confident next time sharing your work.

Reply to Maria