Question
Posted by: Aurora | 2010/04/11

Collapsing knee lax ligaments

My daughter has just turned 14 years and she is active in sports (ballet 7yrs, kickboxing 3yrs &  gymnastics). At age 10 her knee would just collapse for no reason and it was attributed to an extreme growth spurt. Last year the same thing started happening, together with pain in the knee joint. She was seen by a biokinetisist who found a problem with a disc in her back and a tilted pelvis (possibly as a result of a difference in leg length). The problems persisted and she was recently at two different doctors, both did find that her ligaments in her knee were lax (one doctor was taken aback, the other was not perturbed!). The 1st doctor was going to do some research &  get back to me but to date I have not heard anything, the second doctor ordered a set of xrays of the back, pelvic region and knees. The xrays came back perfect other than slight evidence of Osgood Schlatter" s Disease in both knees. My daughter occasionally takes an anti-inflammatory if it gets very painful (after extreme exercise e.g. squats or cold weather). However she still has her knees collapsing under her on occassion. The 2nd doctor felt that there may be some softening of the cartilage that was the underlying problem but an xray would not reflect this. Is there reason for concern or is it an age related issue - she hasnt had any marked growth in the last two years - at the moment she is 4 ft 11 inches (old school measurements!) having grown about an inch over the last two years. I have decided to rest the knees and then see what happens. Is this a good decision or should it be investigated further? I don''t want her to undergo intrusive examinations or surgery unless absolutely necessary.

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

Dear Patient,

It is important to confirm which ligaments are lax and whether these ligaments put your knee at risk of severe injury. You should consult a physio or knee specialist.

Warm regards

The Knee Doctors

2
Posted by: Christinah Hlomuka | 2010/04/16

Remove cocxyx knees collapsing.

Reply to Christinah Hlomuka
Posted by: Knee Expert | 2010/04/15

Dear Patient,

Warm regards

The Knee Doctors

Reply to Knee Expert