Posted by: Nicole | 2012-10-11

Collapsed Vein?

Hi Doc, just wanted to get some proper info on " collapsed veins"  I was admitted in hospital at the start of September for a week for Pneumonia &  the vein that they used on my arm &  on my hand are gone completely flat, prior to that my veins were normal &  very large. After this a friend of mine said to me that the vein can actually collapse. Just want more info on this. Thanx.

Blood clots and damage to the vein wall, can cause fibrosis and subsequent "collapsed veins". Do not be concerned, as there are a multitude of veins that carry blood from the tissue in your hand to the upper limb and your heart. If there is abnormal swelling, tenderness or redness present, I suggest that you consult your doctor for an examination, as this will be a sign of infection.