Posted by: Nicola | 2009-03-13

Collapsed Arches

Dear Foot Doc

I got an injury in my hip flexor muscles whilst running last year, and the chiropractor found a lot of imbalances in my body, which the biokineticist tried to fix by giving me pilates exercises. She was also treating another patient who had the same injury, and who also had collapsed arches. She gave me exercises to do such as towel scrunches and one legged calf raises, but I have found no improvement in my arches. I have gone back to running slowly but am afraid that this injury will come back. Do you have any suggestions as regards fixing the problem of collapsed arches, or shall I just go easy on the running so that the injury doesn' t come back?
Many thanks.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Nicola

There are many running injuries that can be caused by excess pronation, another way of describing a collapsed arch. Exercises such as you have described will help with strengthening the muscles but will not alter the shape of your collapsed arches. I suggest that you have an assessment as to exactly which running shoe you need as well as an analysis of your running to see if you don't need additional arch support when running.