Question
Posted by: Tia Lynne | 2009/11/26

Collagen and Elastin destroyed by cortisone

Female, 44, been on cortisone for severe Asthma for 42 yrs (Tabs, Injections, Inhaler, nasal spray).Plastic Surgeon told me that if he sent a skin patch to the lab with no info they would say I have the skin density of a 60 yr old.Is there any product you can ingest or put on topically that can actually help the skin ward off these effects.I have been told its all a waste of money.Or what should I eat (a lot of) that helps to strengthen collagen and elastin.Pse be brutually honest with me.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Tia Lynne, thank you for the question.

There are a number of topical ingredients that have shown to increase the production of collagen and elastin within the skin however these effects are marginal. Furthermore, technology based treatments such as Fraxel or the Matrix RF (new technology using radio frequency rather than laser), have also shown the ability to further promote collagen and elastin stimulation. The use of NeoStrata Glycolic acid peels has also demonstrated the ability to thicken skin with long term use.
There is some scanty evidence indicating that the use of collagen tablets will increase collagen deposition.

My concern is the use of the cortisone; as over a long period one will definitely experience a ‘thinning’ of the skin. Furthermore, will all the above treatment choices make a difference long term? I am not 100% sure if the cortisone will negate these treatment effects.

My advice would be to consider (together with your specialist physician) other choices for treating the asthma as you will experience other systemic effects with long term steroid use. These include but are not limited to blood pressure changes, blood sugar abnormalities, bone density problems, etc.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2009/12/01

Reply to anti-ageing expert