Question
Posted by: Beverley Hitchcox | 2012/06/23

Colitis - eating plan

Do you know where I could find an eating plan for colitis. My husband suffers with this and I am at a loss as to what to give him as most foods seem to be a no no.

regards
Bev

Dear Beverley
Colitis is indeed a difficult condition to manage and I trust that your hubby is also receiving medical treatment from his physician? If not, do consult the physician again to find out if he can prescribe medications for the flare-ups, the bloating, pain, etc. Ulcerative colitis is a very tricky condition to treat and it requires constant supervision by a registered dietitian. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will have to work out an individual diet prescription for your hubby that takes his condition, the phase it is in (during flare-ups the diet needs to be changed considerably), any medications he may be taking, and his food preferences into account. This is not something I can do for you over the Internet. If you do a Search on the Health24.com site with 'Ulcerative colitis' you should find articles about this condition, which provide additional information.

2
Posted by: Linda | 2012/06/25

Hi Beverly
My son was also diagnosed with UC 3 months ago. I have done extensive research, especially because he was getting very thin. He is 24 years old and a student firstly we do not have the budget to do the whole " dietician thing" and secondly as a young man, he obviously does not want to be restricted to a couple of items of food...
Google UC, there are some great advice. Here are some guidelines that I found work for.
1. I feed him nothing that can " scratch" his colon, so only white bread, white rice, no nuts and bran and fibre etc ..
2. No oil, only olive and butter but in moderation.
He used to love " cruncy Vegetables" but coocked softer works better,
So, our guideline is actually " the stuff he aets must be soft and gentle on the colon" .
Then, I bought ALOE Gel which he drinks 3 to 5 times a day. Google Aloe en UC. This seems to work well.
Also, UC sufferers are prone to mulnitrition as the " good vitamins and minerals" leak from the colon via the ulcers. So Google US and supplements.
He takes, calcium, magnesium, probiotics, Omega 3& 9, Vit C, Vit B, Vit D, Krill Oil, Iron and any other Vit you can lay your hands on.
He must be very carefull what he drinks, fizzy stuff, caffienne and alcohol is a no no and milk and diary in moderation. so I buy Vegetable 1 in 24 from Solal. It is great tasting and I mix 2 ts in a bottle of Pump Water and that is what he drinks.
Good luck !! You can get this under control.

Reply to Linda

Dear Beverley