Question

Colitis and treatment with Flagyl

I was struggling with abdominal pain, sore back, diarrhoea and generally feeling " out of it"  - went to the doc and he prescribed flagyl as he said I had colitis due to giardia - from food like lettuce that hasn' t been washed properly. How long should it take before I start feeling better without the abdominal pains and the constant running to the toilet? It' s been 48 hours and no real improvement - I' ve been more times to the toilet since being on Flagyl. I have a 5 day course.

Neil

After starting treatment, it will take approximately 3 days to recover. I suggest that you use probiotics (available over the counter at pharmacies) in combination with the Flagyl to speed up the recovery process.