Question
Posted by: Brett | 2009-07-28

Colestrol

I am a 44yr old male, I cycle 6 days a week, eat reasonably healthy, my body fat is 13% and I am a none smoker. My latest colestrol count is 6.5. How serious is this and what should it be?

Hallo Brett
Often high cholesterol is hereditary - you are already doing most of the things one should do lifestyle wise to keep your cholesterol low. Try to avoid fatty foods and eat red meat moderately or not at all if you can. We would like a patient's cholesterol to be lower than 5 - but if you have a high cholesterol even though you are eating right and exercising you may need to take a cholesterol lowering drug to keep it under control. High cholesterol increases your risk for stroke and heart attacks. Discuss treatment options with your GP?