Posted by: Leez | 2009-08-05

Cold vs boiled water

Hi doc

Please advise. It' s extremely difficult for me to drink tap water during the winter season as it' s just way too cold. However, I now drink mugs and mugs of cooled boiled water. Does this amount to the same thing? I even drink my boiled water as a substitute for tea (with my lunch, etc).

Thanks for your time!

Dear Leez
It is perfectly good to drink cooled, boiled water esp nowadays when we can't be sure that the tap water is 100% safe. By boiling the tap water you will eliminate most bacteria, etc. Just make sure that you don't overdo your water intake. Excessive water/liquid intake (more than 2,5 litre or 10 cups a day) can leach important minerals like potassium, sodium, magnesium and calcium out of your body can cause so-called electrolyte imbalances. So drink your 2,5 L of liquid (which can include boiled, cooled tap water) every day and you will be fine.