Question
Posted by: Nicola Sunkel | 2010-09-03

Cold Urticaria

Hi Doctor
After much searching, i think i have diagnosed myself with Cold urticaria. Since Dec 2009 i suddenly started coming up in these welts when exposed to the cold, they come up small lumps then get bigger and bigger and almost form into one massive lump..mainly top of my thighs, inner arms, stomach. Because in the UK it is very hard to get an efficient correct diagnosis i am asking you for your advice. It says main treatment is to stay away from the cold but this is hard to do whilst living in London!! the other option is to take antihistimines/allergy tablets. Could you advise me? This is causing much frustrating as i cannot even ride my bike back from gym (in summer) without the wind cuasing my shoulders and legs to come out in massive welts. I am stressing out about the approaching winter and how i am going to cope as its terribly itchy and gets quite painful.

I hope you can help!
Many Thanks
Nicola Sunkel

It sounds like if you have made the correct diagnosis. The best treatment is in fact to avoid the cold and to cover up as much as possible. You can ask your pharmacist for Benadral tablets. This is an older generation antihistimine and should work well but it can make you feel sleepy.

Dr Arnich Burger