Posted by: Jinx | 2012-08-15

''Cold sore'' on tonsil

Ive had a sore tonsil for a while, my GP today prescribed some anti-biotics and diagnosed it as having a cold sore on my tonsil....surely it would not last so long, and would it not go away on its own like when you get a cold sore on your lip? Am wondering if it could be a little more serious than just an cold sore? Thanks Jinxi

The sore can be due to an allergic reaction to food, medicine or dental products. Another possible cause can be from irritation from hard foods that caused a scratch on the tonsil, hench the canker sore. It normally heals within a week or three. If it does not improve, you can reconsult your doctor for further treatment.