Question
Posted by: Sharon | 2010/03/01

Cold Feet and lame leg

For the past few years I have suffered from very cold (and sweaty) feet in winter. The right leg (foot) is worse than the left. It seems to me that the problem might be related to a nerve problem (sciatic?) in my lower back. My right leg (especially below the knee) often feels lame and cold, although the pulse is good. My doctor says an op to release an entrapped nerve is not a good idea. What can I do, or what kind of specialist should I approach?

Expert ImageOsteopath

Hello Sharon,
It is a possibilty that your symptoms arise from dysfunction of the sympathetic nervous system. The sympathetic nervous system manages all sorts of functions in the body that make up what is commonly termed the fight-or-flight response; this includes the release of a number of chemicals such as adrenaline, increasing heart rate, constricting blood vessels, and of course, sweating. When the sympathetic nervous system malfunctions, certain fight-or-flight responses may be triggered at inappropriate times, as in the case of sweaty feet.
I would advise you to consult your nearest osteopath for a full explanation and treatment. For more information on osteopathy visit www.osteogoodhealth.com

1
Posted by: osteopath | 2010/03/02

Hello Sharon,

Reply to osteopath