Question
Posted by: werfie | 2012/09/26

Coke Light/Zero

Hi DietDoc.

So I know the general rule is to stay away from fizzy drinks all together. Once a week I get together with a couple of friends for a couple of drinks. I have tried drinking various types of alcohol with water, but just can''t stomach it. My question is, what is actually the healthiest drink to drink? Is it something like Whiskey/Rum/Brandy with Coke Zero or Coke Light, or a light beer, ciders, etc?

I drink responsibly and as I said, it is a once a week occasion, but how do you drink responsibly in terms of your weight without having to drink something that tastes horrible?

Dear Werfie
If you don't want to use a sugar-sweetened cold drink mixer with your alcohol because of weight issues, then it is probably better to drink white wine with ice. Semi-sweet white wine contains about 300 kJ per 100 ml; whiskey contains 1044 kJ per 100 ml. However you may drink 250 ml of the wine (750 kJ) and only 30 ml of the whiskey (313 kJ), so if you only have one drink then a whiskey and artificially sweetened mixer option is lower in energy. If you dilute the white wine with 50% soda or ice then you can also reduce the energy content down to about 375 kJ.
If you only have 1-2 drinks per week then this should not derail your attempts to lose weight. Daily drinking of large volumes of alcohol and sugar-sweetened cold drinks will pile on the kgs.

1

Dear Werfie