Question
Posted by: VeryWorried | 2012/07/23

Coke and Headache Pills

Hi All

I am worried about my friend, she drinks Grandpa(aspirin) with Coca-Cola on a daily basis, I am afraid that this mixture will have consequences and I have tried to stop her from taking these things but I just cant find a way through to her.

Overall her personality is okay, no signs of anything wierd happening in her life ( in terms of behaviour) , no withdrawal symptoms, all is well, in fact she is the highest performer in the office.

So is this like a habit, is it something like nailbiting or something?

Please help.
VW.

Its an idiotic combination, with not the slightest possible benefit. Even when I was a kid, there was a stupid rumous that combining aspirin and coke would give you a high ( they also said that of smoking paper straws, and that putting bloting paper in your shoes would make you faint ). Cocacola and other colas contain caffeine, which may give you a bit of a lift, just like a cup of coffee ; excess coffee can cause problems, including indigestion. Aspiring is purely a painkiller and reduces inflammation if one has something like arthritis - and can also cause indigestion.
Consuming lots of the combination could cause gastric problems such as ulcers, And again - there is not the faintest possible chance of any benefit from doing so.
I have known people become dependent on Grandpa Headache powders, which are more than "aspirin" - they can include paracetamol ( which in excess can cause liver damage ) and may include other substances to which some people become chemically or psychologically dependent.
Some people mistakenly insist that no other painkiller helps their pain, when it includes only common ingredients present in many other painkillers.
If she has chronic pain, she should see a doctor for a checkup to find the cause and deal with that. If its for kicks, then this is silly and can only cause harm in the end. Is her life really so pathetically empty that she must do this for kicks ? It is a bad habit, and she may have mistakenly persuaded herself that it keeps her alert and able to work better. It doesn't. ANy form of caffeine, in moderation, like an occasional coffe, may usefully increase alertness. That's it. Nothing in Grandpa can improve performance in any way at all.
But she's an adult, and thus entitled to be foolish. You can advise her, and remind her that the combination has no benefits known to science, and can become harmful, but then its up to her

9
Posted by: Nkentshane | 2015/04/10

I had an unprotected sex so I DRANK coke cola mixed with grandpa

Reply to Nkentshane | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anna | 2015/09/12

Please how much coke and grandpa

Posted by: Puleng | 2014/10/14

I sometimes drive on weekends for long distances, i only experienced dat coke n Granda-pa keeps me awake for 2 to 3 hours b 4 i feel tired again. For me it works more better dan red bull. So i can not say its good but dats what i' eperienced. Up to so far i m using it if i feel tired.

Reply to Puleng
Posted by: Concerned183 | 2014/08/11

Hi. Just wanted to say, your body has to have a chance to fight off pain, infections, etc. The human body is a very complex but clever "machine". But taking any form of medication with carbonated fluid is a health risk.

Reply to Concerned183
Posted by: Hazel | 2012/07/25

LOL
This is cybershrinks forum, and he will come on and comment.
However, clearly yes he can be insulting, although I am sure it more of him just being honest. Anyone can appreciate this.
So Veryworried, I am sure you are really genuiely caoncerned of your friend. It will help you if yo took the advice quite contructively.

Reply to Hazel
Posted by: billy | 2012/07/24

I dont tink CS was insulting he was trying to make a point, but if a person cannot think for themself that the use of Coco-Cola and Grandpa is like rat poisen then the person does not want help.a Friend of ours died the other day because he used the same combination, we did warn him, but nobody is as deaf as the person who does not want to hear, his intsetince were eaten up.

Reply to billy
Posted by: VeryWorried | 2012/07/24

Hi Guys

Your replies were helpful, especially Tanya''s because her opinion sounded like that of an expert, Cybershrink just took it personally and was insulting.

She has no reason to get high and if anything, CS you just sounded like an angry individual.

Yes, you have valid points like the resulting of ulcers and so does Tanya have valid reasoning but to start forking someone whom I am concerned about and want to help reduce and effectively stop this is wrong and you need to check your feelings before you start telling people what you rate as pathetic, even if you do not know them
.

But thank you for taking your time to respond.
Regards,
VW.

Reply to VeryWorried
Posted by: Tanya | 2012/07/23

This is called " over the counter addiction" . It is a reality and people only think that these tablets help them cope with pain that actually does not exist. Only time can cure them of this addiction and, if its only a friend of yours, then there is little that you can do but let them learn from their mistakes. When they land up in hospital with abdominal pains, then they will realise what they are doing to themselves.

Reply to Tanya