Question
Posted by: ADHDude | 2010/05/16

Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy

Where can one go for Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy. How exactly does it work doctor. Patrick holford does not believe in drugs. Only in therapy and nutrition to cure depression and adult ADD. I wonder if he even suffers from mental illness? Does CBT work? Thank you for your free dervice my friend.

I know Holford's family - my mother nursed his father, Lord Holford during his final illness, and his sister is an excellent and orthodox child psychiatrist working in SA. I have no repect for his eccentric and unscientific views on medicine, and would not choose to follow his advice. There isn't ANY good evidence that his methods make a useful difference in these conditions. His sort, tend to be read by people who are worried about themselves but esentially well, so they feel better almost whatever they choose to do, so long as they believe in it.
CBT I believe in because there is loads of good evidence that it IS useful in a variety of conditions. And I like that it aims to give you independence and to improve your skills at identifying and solving problems in life.
There's no very easy way to find someone practising CBT as yet, though SADAG ( number on this page ) does have a listing of some of the shrnks who work in this way.

1