Question
Posted by: Apple | 2012/06/08

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

Hi CS

I was wondering, can I do cognitive behavioural therapy by myself, perhaps buy DVD’ s ect. Id like to do so but I’ m not sure how great of a difference it will make. I have been for counselling two weeks straight, it has made a big impact and has changed my thinking a lot. However, since 2years have past I’ m now starting to feel anxious again, especially climbing high flights of stairs, I cant even go to the gym because I cant get up the stairs to the top level (cant climb up the stairs if its not properly closed, if I can see any openings I can not get up there) another thing I’ m anxious when I go shopping by myself, I’ ve never been like this. What triggers it, I’ ve been trying to think what has made me feel like this but I can not come to an conclusion. I know when I was a child I was also very scared. I don’ t want to live my life like this, there are so many things I would love to experience but as soon as I get to that stage I get anxious. I always wanted to travel the world, but now I’ m so scared I don’ t want to do it anymore. I would love to have kids one day but this makes me even more anxious especially with being pregnant for 9 months.
So can I go and buy these dvd''s to assist me?

I've not yet found good DVD's offering self-help in this format, which is disappointing, as it ought to be really suitable fo this format - please, readers, let me know if you come across any.
There are some self-help books based on the CBT model, and I have seen some and found them reasonable. With regard to books ( I wish I could get proper review copies and review them here in H24 ) I usually check in Amazon.com to read the reviews by customers and sometimes experts, then, having chosen some suitable and promising titles, I check for the best prices here on Kalahari.com. Takealoy.com ( they can source for you from Amazon USA and UK, and deliver to your door, so they always have the largest selection, though not always the best prices ) and loot.co.za, to cehck local availability and prices.
I'm pleased to hear you have n oticed some benefits from even 2 weeks of counselling ; which is why I prefer CBT to the old wishy-washy analytical type methods which could take years to get anywhere, if they ever got anywhere at all.
As for your complaints, you seem to be describing phobic anxiety, which may need a skilled combination of CBT and medication for maximum impact.
But because you are descrbing a rather complex mix of fears, you would be best served by seeing a good local psychologist skilled in CBNT for a full assessment, and for some months at least, of continuing CBT treatments, to get a grip on these disabling but fortunately unnecessary fears.

1