Question
Posted by: Ashleigh | 2011/04/04

coffee

Hello, Im trying to lose weight and I hit a plateau(excuse the spelling) at 58kgs so I decided to avoid all drinks and drink only water. to my suprise since cutting out coffee from my menu I can only sleep for 3 hrs. the reason I think its coffee is that I stopped drinking coffee for weeks and in those weeks I had insomnia. then one day I decided to have coffee as treat and I slept through the night. then I drank it for 3 days and I slept well for the 3 days.

Then after 3 days, I stopped drinkin coffee for days, and I couldnt sleep again . I only sleep for 3 hours. what could be the reason for this? this is weird.

Dear Ashleigh
I must say that I too am amazed by your reaction. The caffeine in coffee is a stimulant and side-effects linked to its intake include insomnia, restlessness, irritability, tremors, etc. Most individuals who are sensitive to caffeine, always say 'No thanks, I won't have a cup of coffee after 4 pm (or some other time), because I won't sleep a wink!' So your reaction to drinking coffee is totally the opposite. However, there may be an explanation: if you have been dieting to lose weight and 'doing without' (which can also be stressful), then having a treat like coffee, may have relaxed you and helped you to sleep. In addition, if you had some low-fat milk in your coffee (?), then the amino acid tryptophan which is found in milk, increases serotonin levels in the brain which also helps you to sleep. Finally the insomnia may be due to caffeine withdrawal and having a bit of caffeine may have stopped your subconscious cravings. There is no harm in having 1-2 cups of coffee a day with skim or fat-free milk even when you are trying to lose weight. So have your coffee and at least get some rest at night.
Your spelling of plateau is perfectly correct!

1

Dear Ashleigh