Question
Posted by: Medically Induced | 2010/01/27

Codeine Phospate and Benzo' s

I have been advised by a medico specialist that Codeine containing preperations have a synergistic effect with Benzodiazapines and that if you are withdrawing from Benzo' s Codeine preperations should be avoided.
What is the situation in this regard.

Also he talked of the danger of substituting Codeine preperations for Benzo' s.Again what is the deal here.

Are not entirely differant medications.

A symptom of benzo withdrawal is headaches so If I have a headache can I not take a painkiller containing codeine?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Although I'd also suggest avoiding codeine, opiate drugs will technically not prevent recovery from benzodiazepine withdrawal as they work on the brain through a completely different mode of action.

It is however still a better option to steer clear of codeine wile recovering (or in patients with a history of medicine abuse), the odd pain killers for chronic or occasional pain relief should not affect your benzo recovery.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2010/01/28

Reply to pharmacist