Question
Posted by: BEV WALKER | 2010/06/21

CODEINE ADDICTION

I am addicted to codeine and take approximately 9 tablets per day. I have now decided to quit by cutting down, but was horrified when some one told me that her doctor said that the only way to quit was to go to rehab otherwise I stand a chance of getting a heart attack.

This sounds strange but I would like confirmation on this because I have already started my self help programe which is working well so far.

So please would you advise me if I am going to damage my heart.

Bev

Expert ImagePharmacist

It wont damage your heart, but stopping cold turkey may induce severe side-effects which may, in some rare cases cause a heart attack.

Try reducing your dose by 20% every 14 days and, when your dose is down to a single daily dose, taking it every 2nd and then every 3rd day.

If you battle to follow this plan, you will need to discuss your options with your doctor.

All the best!

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2010/06/22

All the best!

Reply to pharmacist