Posted by: carrie | 2009-08-20

cod liver oil

i' ve been giving my little dog cod liver oil, or halibut liver oil from time to time but now a friend of mine says fish oil is better than fish liver oil...whats the difference?

Dear Carrie

This conversation will get to techinical for me, best to do dome internet research

Posted by: Chill | 2009-08-20

In a nutshell, cod liver oil is nearly the same as fish oil, except it contains far more vitamin A and D.

Since both of these are fat-soluble vitamins, any excess taken tends to build up in the body - they are not excreted with urine, as, for example, vitamin C is.

If taken in large quantities over a prolonged period, one can get a kind of vitamin poisoning from excessive doses of fat-soluble vitamins.

Since cod-liver oil is relatively inexpensive, and dogs like it, the key as to whether it' s good or bad would lie in the amount and frequency you give it to the dog. A small amount, now and then, is going to be fine, and it' s certainly more cost effective than all the fancy fish oil capsules on the market.

I don' t know if dogs require the two vitamins concerned - I do know that they ' manufacture'  their own vitamin C, so don' t need to be fed any - maybe the cvet can elaborate on that.

Reply to Chill