Posted by: Sue | 2012-03-27

Hi Doc,

A week ago i fell down the stairs (concrete stairs) - landed on my butt, and I think I''ve done some damage to my cocyx.
It is very painful when I lie down on my back - better on my side, bending down is painful and getting up from sitting is more painful that sitting itself - feels like I have electric shocks coming out of my tailbone.
Could this be cracked or is it more likely just bruised? I havent been to the doc, because I''ve heard that if it is cracked, there is no real treatment except time.

many thanks

Unfortunately, there is no real treatment but I do suggest that you consult your doctor for an examination and x-rays of the cocyx. If the cocyx is broken and does not heal over time, an orthopedic surgeon can remove that part of the cocyx to treat the severe pain. It is therefore, advisable to have x-rays taken to assess the severity of the trauma.