Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2012-07-27

Coconut Oil

I want to start cooking with coconut oil as I have read it is one of the healthiest oils to cook with and does not turn rancid like Olive Oil, does anyone know where I can buy coconut oil from in the JHB area.

Thanks.

Dear Sarah
Red palm oil is indeed very healthy and should be available from health shops. However, there has always been a problem trying to differentiate between 'good' fats and 'bad' fats derived from coco palm trees. On the one hand there is the oil derived from the palm kernel which is high in saturated fat and should be avoided. On the other hand, there is the beneficial red palm oil that is produced from the flesh of the palm fruit and is regarded as very healthy because it contains antioxidants called tocotrienols that belong to the vitamin E family. So you will need to check on the label of the coconut oil to see if it is made from "coconut palm kernel" and is high in saturated fats or not. The red colour of 'red palm oil' is an indication that this is the beneficial type of coconut oil.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-07-27

Dear Sarah