Question
Posted by: Monica | 2012/03/10

Coconut Butter: Please tell us the truth. Is it save to use on a daily basis like in a replacement for cow''s butter?

Dear Monica
I always attempt to give my Readers truthful answers! There has always been a problem trying to differentiate between 'good' fats and 'bad' fats derived from coco palm trees. On the one hand there is the oil derived from the palm kernel which is high in saturated fat and should be avoided. On the other hand, there is beneficial red palm oil that is produced from the flesh of the palm fruit and is regarded as highly beneficial because it contains antioxidants called tocotrienols that belong to the vitamin E family. So you will need to check on the label of the coconut butter to see if it is high in saturated fats or not. If the coconut butter you are asking about is made by processing shredded coconut to form a butter-like spread, then it will have a high total fat and saturated fat content. Butter made from cow's milk contains 82% fat of which 48% is saturated, 21% is monounsaturated and 1.6% is polyunsaturated, while shredded coconut before it is turned into coconut butter, contains 65% fat of which 57% is saturated, 2.8% is monounsaturated and 0.7% is polyunsaturated.

2
Posted by: Monica | 2012/03/13

Thanks DietDoc for your answer. What is then your opinion on Dr. Fife''s book "  Coconut Cures"  and his explanation concerning the different types of fats and that coconut oil is actually very healthy for the body?

Reply to Monica

Dear Monica