Question
Posted by: Adele | 2010/06/11

Cocao

Hallo doc,

I just read that cocao is a very good and healthy drink to have, a good antioxident as well, but I now on the tin I have at home the fat content is quite high. Is it realy that healthy then?

I saw your answer on the liqourice, (the high cal. content) is this the plain black once as well or only the mixed ones?

Have a great weekend and may it be a save one.
God bless

Dear Adele
Cacao powder is rich in antioxidants, but it does have a high fat content of 21.7 g per 100g of which nearly 13% is saturated fat. Therefore the positive antioxidant content is balanced out by the negative fat content. If you only use 1-2 tablespoons together with low-fat or fat-free milk, it should not have such a negative effect. The liquorice that is listed in the SA Food Tables is the 'Allsorts' variety which is mixed, not the plain black type. Thank you for your good wishes.

1

Dear Adele