Question
Posted by: priscilla | 2008/10/02

coated tongue and poor sense of smell

I have had a coated tongue (to a greater or lesser extent, but never clean pink) and a poor sense of smell (with occasional phantom smelling- I smell aromas that no one else detects) for as long as I can remember- probably at least 20 years.I also often have a stuffy nose and periodic bouts of allergic sinusitus. Are these symptoms serious? Because only the sinusitus is painful and I don' t run a fever I have just ignored it all apart from some inhaling steam, saltwater rinsing etc for the sinuses.

Dear Priscilla
Sinusitis can cause bad breath, blocked nose with mouth breathing causing a coated tongue and poor sense of smell. Do yourself a favour and see an ENT specialist. With the right medication you will be able to breathe and prevent sinus infections.