Posted by: Panic Attacks | 2008-11-20

Last year i was rushed to hospital thinking i am having a stroke... turned out it was a panic attack.... i felt soooo stupid....
Can you please tell me why some people get this and what happens to your body. I am now on attivan.

Nothing stupid --- panic attacks are terrifying, and with all your in-build alarm systems roaring, one feels one's having astoke, or a heart attack, or going mad, or all three. It produces the chemical equivalent of extreme panic, but with no discernable immediate cause. Best to see a psychiatrist for a full assessment and discussion of treatment options --- usually meds also used to treat depression are more effective than ativan which one usually doesn't want to take long-term. However, stay on the ativan until you have seen the shrink

Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2008-11-22

Cybershrink won' t see your second question, since once he has answered a question, he doesn' t see the rest of the replies. You would have to post anew if you want to ask another question.

I think CS might have understood you to be on Ativan regularly and not just for individual attacks. Ativan is a benzodiazepine tranquilliser  many in this group of drugs can be addictive - hence the concern about being on it long-term. I would suggest clearing how and when you are taking it with your doc, who can assess whether this is okay. Or as CS says, see a psychiatrist about the panic attacks - a very real psychiatric condition that is treatable.

Reply to Kay in Gtown
Posted by: CM | 2008-11-21

what' s wrong with long term use of Attivan- i use it since beginning l/ yr... yet only when i have a attack....

Reply to CM