Question
Posted by: Lee | 2010-09-20

Club foot and pregnancy

I am 36 yrs old and was born with a club foot, that was corrected when I was a few mths old with surgery. I wore orthopaedic shoes until I was 12.

Until 2004 I had no problems with my foot and could wear normal ladies shoes and sandals. I fell pregnant in 2004 and with my feet swelling so much, the ligaments were stretched and the arch completely collapsed. My foot is now totally flat and you can see it tiilting to the left at the uncle, rather than being upright.

I saw an orthopaedic surgeon in 2008 and he recommended I use orthetics in my shoes. I have been wearing them since then.

I am once again pregnant and this time with multiples. I am very worried f the damage that may occur with this foot.

Please advise on what care I should take. I am taking calcium supplements. I woke up this morning with my ankle being very sore and am worried. With it being summer, I can''t wear closed shoes and furthermore, my foot will swell anyway.

Please advise.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Lee
I think the right shoes are extremely important now and maybe some advice from an orthopaedic surgeon may not be bad. Gentle exercise is also good and a physio or biokineticist can help. Remember to take calcium and vitamin D (total for calcium in diet and supplements =/-1200mg/day). Vitamin D also important- 800IU/day