Question
Posted by: david | 2010/10/25

cloud of depression wont lift

I have been living with a cronic depression for more than 2 months now. I have tried CBT and everything just backfires. I am unable to think of positive thoughts no matter how hard I try. I also excercise vigorously and this doesnt seem to work well either. My anti-depressants also didnt work but I have only been on a new Anti depression for 7 days now so maybe I need to lay low and wait for them to kick in

As Maria points out, often you need the meds to start lifting the depression before CBT has a good chance of working, if you have a really deep depression. Also, unless you really commit yourself to doing what CBT requires, it wouldn't be able to work.
And, also as Maria says, one needs to wait 2-3 weeks to see if any AD is going to work for you, and may need to try 2 or 3 to find the one that suits you best. Persist in your efforts, because you CAN beat this depression, and again start injoying life

4
Posted by: Anne | 2010/10/25

I really hope you get out of this, as I know it is not a pleasurable state of mind to be in, the mads will take about two weeks to start taking affect and about two months before really felling a lift. It doe take trail and error and if the meds does not do anything after awile go back to your doc to put you on something else until yuou find what is working.

I am suffering with depression for 5 yrs now seen a pshycologist and so forth and have only found the right meds 3 months ago. I am on Deparoc 20mg daily and I feel better than what i have in 5 yrs. You just need to hang in there and find what works for you. also find a hobby to do to keep that mind busy and of all bad thoughts.

Good luck :-)

Reply to Anne
Posted by: David | 2010/10/25

Thanx for the words of encouragement. These past 2 months has been absolute hell for me. I have a wife and 3 kids that depend on my support and I need to hang in there for them.

Reply to David
Posted by: Maria | 2010/10/25

Hang in there David, it can take a couple of weeks before you feel the full effect of the meds. And unfortunately it can take a couple of tries before you find the meds that works best for you. Counselling is very helpful but sometimes the meds first need to work before you can get any value from the counselling.

Reply to Maria