Posted by: Lee | 2012-02-29

Clomiphene 50g

Hi. My gynae prescriped Clomiphene and Metfomin for me. he didn''t really say that I am infertile but he said that my glucose level and testosterone levels are high (hence have low / no regular periods and am quite hairy - moustache &  beard). He said I must lose weight and cut out sugar before trying again to fall pregnant. Can all these factors be the reason why I haven''t fallen pregnant yet?

Dear Lee
The condition that he is alluding to sounds like polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) which is associated in many cases with metabolic disorders. Hence the advice he has given you is correct and may in many cases elevate the problem. However should no pregnancy ensue or should your periods not regulate despite the conservatives measures you have been advised, then I would urge you to start some form of fertility treatment under supervision. In moderate to advanced cases of PCOS conservative treatment fails and you may need to resort to in-vitro fertilization to achieve a pregnancy.
Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim