Question
Posted by: Suzy | 2008/08/28

Clomid &  Ovulation

Hi, I just wanted to know. I am currently ovulating on clomid 150mg. Been using it for about 5 months now. I want to give it a break, will that affect my ovulation if I stop the clomid or should I continue to take for another month??

Dear Suzi

Clomid in doses exceeding 100mg have a negative effect on implantation and therefore on fertility despite the fact that it will increase ovulation. In our practise, we do not use high doses of Clomid but instead, supplement with injectables if ovulation is not being achieved. Clomid in excess has a negative effect on the receptors of the endometrium (lining of the womb), which may cause implantation failure or increase the risk of miscarriages.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim