Posted by: TARIKA | 2009-02-24

Hi Doc,

Please advise. I am going to start clomid tomorrow as it will be day 4 of my cycle. My Dh &  i will be try to conceive through natural intercourse. please advise on what other options we have using clomid. A friend who is also using clomid will be taking HCG injections as well. Please also advise on IUI. How is it done? Is this an option that I could possibly look at? I have PCOS and have had problems with ovulation. Am now taking metformin.

Dear Tarika

Due to the problem of PCOS I would advise that close monitoring be undertaken during the use of Clomid since follicular development (egg development) in cases of PCOS is unpredictable. In some cases there may be a very minimal response to the Clomid and ovulation may not occur despite increasing the doses of the Clomid. In these cases of resistant PCOS it may be necessary to use additional injectables to farce follicle growth and maturity and these injections are not the same as the HCG but are follicle-enhancing gonadotropins. In addition some patients may react extremely sensitively to Clomid in cases of PCOS and may go on to develop hyperstimulation syndrome if given an HCG injection and I would therefore suggest once again that careful monitoring be instituted. The option of IUI will certainly depend on the sperm analysis result and may not be necessary if sperm parameters are within normal provided that ovulation can be carefully timed and intercourse timed accordingly.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim