Question
Posted by: Ursie | 2010/11/30

Clomid

Hi doctor.

After 5 years of trying, 2 miscarriages, 3 cycles of clomid and a laparoscopy and d& c 1 month ago, my husband have been diagnosed with low sperm count, a count of 3. He is using Staminigro at the moment. He have been to a urologist. The urologist compared his semen anaylyst with the one of last year and it was still the same. Im so angry that my previous gynaecologist kept us in the dark over this and he only treated me. That s why it came to a shock to us when he was diagnosed. Is it possible that I can go on Clomid again and try again on Clomid?

Or should we rather consider AI or IVF. Actually my gynaecologist suggest we should try AI, but unfortunetely these treatments are quite expensive. Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated. This journey is getting to long for me now. I only cry myself to sleep at night.

Thanking you in advance

Dear Ursie

The count of 3 is not necessarily a major problem and can be enhanced with the use of medication. However if the count of 3 pertains to the morphology percentage then this would certainly indicate that IVF should be your first choice of treatment. Should the morphology be normal or greater than 8% then intrauterine insemination (IUI) can be done on repeated occasions at the time of ovulation and it may be necessary sometimes to attempt at least 3 to 4 IUI’s before moving on to IVF. Although natural intercourse has some place in this situation it would be extremely surprising if a pregnancy ensued under these circumstances. Also the increase risk of miscarriages may be coupled to sperm abnormalities and therefore it would be better to do some form of assisted reproduction under the supervision of a fertility specialist.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

4
Posted by: impamiImpudge | 2011/02/23

Reply to impamiImpudge
Posted by: impamiImpudge | 2011/02/22

Reply to impamiImpudge
Posted by: impamiImpudge | 2011/02/18

Reply to impamiImpudge
Posted by: impamiImpudge | 2011/02/18

Reply to impamiImpudge