Posted by: Pink | 2009-07-16

Hi Doctor,

My friend is trying to conceive and her doctor started her on Clomid last month. She went back yesterday and he told her she didn' t ovulate so she should start to use injectable fertility drugs.

Should he at least give it 2 or 3 months to work before rushing into something else?

I advise her to get a second opinion first as this doesn' t sound right.

Dear Pink

There are several reasons why the Clomid may not have had the desired effect. It is important that she has a full a thorough evaluation of not only ovarian reserve but also the possibility of advanced polycystic ovarian syndrome. The possibility of increasing the Clomid dosage should be considered and also the use of alternative oral preparations may be a cost effective option. However if the doctor already has sufficient evidence for the possibilities for poor ovarian response then in that case the use of injectables may be the right option and should be done as soon as possible.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim